The capon, kings of poultry for the end of year celebrations, it is nevertheless reserved for informed amateurs. The price of farmer capon is a little democratized, indeed we are starting to find quality in supermarkets. For the capon wine, I like to use the same one that I will serve at the table. With the stuffed capon you increase the flavors and the number of guests. For the capon stuffing, you can use mushrooms, but the net plus ultra is the foie gras capon. Recipe stuffed with foie gras, use rather once raw which will release much more flavor. Bake the capon in the oven, but it is customary to pass it first in a large vegetable broth, the meat remains very soft. To cook the capon, you need a lot of patience, but the end result is worth the effort.
- Capon recipe for 10 people:
- 1 large capon of 3.5 kg
- 1 kg of carrots
- 3 leeks
- 1 bunch of flat-leaf parsley
- 1 onion
- 3 shallots
- 1 small box of chestnut
- 1 jar of forest mushrooms
- 200 gr of foie gras
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cloves
- 1 bottle of white Condrieu
- 50 cl of fluid cream
- 1 tablespoon of 5 berry mixture
- 30 gr of butter
- 1 slice of stale bread
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of coarse salt
- Wash and dry the parsley with food paper.
- Peel and cut the vegetables into slices.
- Peel and quarter the onions and shallots.
- Place the capon in a large Dutch oven.
- Add the vegetables, pepper and coarse salt.
- Add ¾ of the flat-leaf parsley without removing the stems.
- Pour in the ¾ of Condrieu and cover with water.
- Start under a low heat and cook until the water simmers.
- Stop cooking after 4 minutes from the first simmering.
- Gently remove the poultry.
- Reduce the cooking broth by ¾.
- Cut the foie gras and the chestnuts into small pieces.
- Add the slice of bread and the mushrooms.
- Stem and finely chop the rest of the parsley.
- Mix the stuffing, salt and pepper.
- Add a little cooking juice if the stuffing is too dry.
- Stuff the capon with the foie gras stuffing.
- Strap the capon to keep the stuffing and the aromas inside.
- Place the capon in a large casserole dish.
- Pour 50 cl of broth and the rest of the Condrieu.
- Add the fluid cream.
- Bake the capon in an oven at 170 ° for about 2 hours.
- Watch the cooking and cover the animal if it takes color too quickly.
- Wrap the capon straight out of the oven with aluminum foil and place it in an oven at 90 °.
- Reduce the cooking juice to thicken it a little, taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Cut the piece of poultry and serve immediately.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hour (s)
Number of people: 10
5 star rating: 1 review
What wine to drink with: Chapon
My favorite wine for this recipe Condrieu blanc Grape variety: Viognier.
Temperature between 10 ° and 12 °
Thanks to Françoise and Patrice for their invitation and the photos
Place the capon in a large Dutch ovenAdd the vegetablesCover with water and wineCook the mushroomsCut the foie grasMix the stuffingStuff the caponPlace the capon in a casserole dishCooked caponPack right out of the ovenCut<img src="/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/8941394112537870444.jpg" class="aligncenter"