Sauerkraut recipe with duck fat
Always a great moment with sauerkraut, I like this typical Alsatian dish, I especially like its generosity with its ton of meat. Sauerkraut with duck fat, what is even more exceptional is that every time you heat up your sauerkraut, it will take on more flavor. Cooking in the oven is interesting for this kind of dish: in fact it will never burn, with the rotating heat the cooking is perfect. Of course this duck fat sauerkraut can be flavored while cooking with white wine or beer, there are two schools, the choice is yours. I made pan-fried duck yesterday and of course, I kept the duck fat for this beautiful sauerkraut which took on a beautiful golden yellow color with this fat. Every time I make a sauerkraut, I always freeze some of it, for the day when I don’t have time to cook and frankly, I love this moment when I sit down at the table, just to taste my sauerkraut at duck fat.
Sauerkraut recipe with duck fat for 10 people:
- 2,500 kg of raw sauerkraut
- 8 Agata potatoes
- 75 cl of beer
- 1 sausage cut with a knife
- 1 fresh sausage
- 2 smoked Montbéliard sausages
- 1 piece of smoked bacon
- 1 piece of salted bacon
- 1 piece of smoked loin
- 6 knacks
- 3 onions
- 3 sprigs of dry thyme
- 70 g of foie gras
- Desalt the salted bacon in a large volume of water
- Peel and cut the onions into small pieces.
- Rinse the sauerkraut in hot boiling water (the hotter the water, the less acidic the sauerkraut will be).
- Drain the sauerkraut then squeeze it in your hand, in order to evacuate as much water as possible.
- Heat the duck fat in the cast iron casserole dish, then throw in the onions and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Let them cook so that they become translucent.
- Add the sauerkraut to the onions, stir well with a wooden spoon, so that it soaks up the fat.
- Add the juniper berries, thyme sprigs, bay leaves, mix well.
- Pour half of the beer.
- Place the casserole dish in the cold oven, cook for one hour at 180 °.
- Remove half of the cabbage, arrange the meat on top of half the sauerkraut.
- Cover the meat then add the potatoes.
- Continue to cook for another two to three hours
Preparation time: 50 minutes
Cooking time: 180 minutes
Number of people: 10 people
4 star rating: 1 review
What wine to drink with: Sauerkraut with duck fat
My favorite wine for this recipe: Riesling Grape Riesling
Temperature between 10 ° and 12 °
IngredientsHeat the duck fatAdd the berriesPlace sauerkraut and potatoAdd the meatCover with cabbageCooked sauerkrautZoom